What if You Have a DUI Charge & You Want to File Bankruptcy?

by DeLadurantey Law Office, LLC on January 29, 2014

What if You Have a DUI Charge & You Want to File Bankruptcy?If you have a driving under the influence (DUI) charge and you are considering filing a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13, it is important to understand how your bankruptcy can be affected by it.

Most people are aware that when they file a personal bankruptcy, they can eliminate the majority of their debt. However, the Bankruptcy Code excludes certain types of debts from being eligible for discharge, including some debt related to DUI charges. Thus, it is vital that you discuss your DUI-related with your bankruptcy lawyer before you file your case.

What types of DUI-related debt may be non-dischargeable? A few examples include:

  • If you are in a DUI-related accident, any settlement payments for damages caused to another party
  • If you were found liable by a court for amounts exceeding a victim’s insurance limitations
  • Any debt related to receiving your DUI while driving without insurance
  • If you are liable for monetary damages for an injury caused by a ‘violent crime,’ which can include DUI
  • If a court held you liable for civil damages resulting from malicious or intentional injuries

Thus, if you are hoping to eliminate your debt related to your DUI, you may want to consider filing a Chapter 13 case. Even though your DUI debt may not be dischargeable, a Chapter 13 allows you to pay it through your Chapter 13 plan. Chapter 13 provides a means for you to manage and afford your debt, including your DUI-related debts.

To learn more about your DUI-related debt in a bankruptcy filing, schedule your initial consultation with the legal team at DeLadurantey Law Office, LLC.

Contact The “Milwaukee Bankruptcy Attorneys,” DeLadurantey Law Office. LLC for all your Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy needs.  Whether you need debt negotiations or debt relief, or even foreclosure defense, DeLadurantey Law Office will handles bankruptcy matters for the following location – Milwaukee, South Milwaukee, West Milwaukee, Waukesha City, Waukesha Town, Kenosha, Racine, and all other municipalities in Milwaukee County, Waukesha County, Kenosha County, and Racine County.  DeLadurantey Law Office, LLC can be contacted by phone at (414) 377-0518.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post:

Attorney web design by The Rainmaker Institute