Many people are under the mistaken impression that bankruptcy attorneys merely fill out a few forms and walk you through a simple court process. Below are just a few of the tasks your Chapter 7 attorney should assist you with during your case:
- Conduct a full investigation of your financial situation and help formulate the best debt relief strategy for handling your financial problems
- Fully explain the pros and cons of the different types of bankruptcy
- Help you obtain the mandatory pre-bankruptcy credit counseling
- Assist you with assembling all of the financial information needed to properly prepare the Chapter 7 pleadings required by the court
- Prepare and file your petition, schedules, statement of financial affairs and other necessary Chapter 7 forms
- Work with you to ensure that you have claimed all of the applicable exemptions in order to protect as many of your assets as possible from being included in your bankruptcy estate
- Assist you with how to handle your secured debts, which may involve reaffirmation agreements, redemption, or surrender of assets.
- Attend the meeting of creditors and any other necessary hearings with you
- Help you locate and complete the mandatory post-bankruptcy credit counseling course
- If needed, draft and file any amended pleadings to fully protect your rights
- Most importantly, help you anticipate and overcome any objections or other obstacles that could interfere with you obtaining your discharge of debt
The above list is not exhaustive, but it gives you an idea of what you services you can expect your bankruptcy attorney to provide.
If you are considering filing for bankruptcy protection or you need assistance with your student loans, call DeLadurantey Law Office, LLC, at (414) 377-0518. We believe that each client should receive the individual attention necessary to reach their financial goals. Recognizing the needs of working clients, we maintain a flexible schedule and offer evening appointments. Initial consultations are always free, and phone inquiries are always welcomed. Find us on the Internet and on Facebook.