Every debtor must abide by the strict rules and procedures of the bankruptcy court in order to successfully obtain the discharge of his/her debt. Below are five common mistakes made by debtors that often result in the dismissal of a case:
- Pre-bankruptcy credit counseling. A debtor is required to attend a credit counseling course before filing a personal bankruptcy case. The course is inexpensive and it does not take a lot of time to complete, so it is important to complete it before filing your case.
- Schedules. All debtors are required to make full financial disclosures when they file a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 case. Failure to timely file these financial disclosures can result in your case being dismissed.
- Meeting of creditors. A debtor must attend a 341 meeting or meeting of creditors and answer questions under oath from the trustee and creditors. Failure to attend this meeting can result in your case being dismissed.
- Tax returns. To avoid dismissal, a debtor must provide the trustee a copy of his/her most recently filed tax return.
- Pre-discharge course. Before a debtor can be granted a discharge of debt, he/she must attend a debtor education class. A certificate of completion must be filed with the court before a discharge order will be entered.
Hiring an experienced bankruptcy attorney at DeLadurantey Law Office, LLC can help ensure that none of these mistakes occur in your filing.
The “Milwaukee Bankruptcy Attorneys,” DeLadurantey Law Office. LLC handle Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcies, as well as debt negotiations, debt relief, mortgage loan modifications, and foreclosure defense and debtor’s rights matters. We serve the areas of Milwaukee, South Milwaukee, West Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, and Waukesha County, including the municipalities of Big Bend Village, Brookfield City, Brookfield Town, Butler Village, Chenequa Village, Delafield City, Delafield Town, Dousman Village, Eagle Town, Eagle Village, Elm Grove Village, Genesee Town, Hartland Village, Lac La Belle Village, Lannon Village, Lisbon Town, Menomonee Falls Village, Merton, Town, Merton Village, Mukwonago Town, Mukwonago Village, Muskego City, Nashotah Village, New Berlin City, North Prairie Village, Oconomowoc City, Oconomowoc Lake Village, Oconomowoc Town, Ottawa Town, Pewaukee City, Pewaukee Village, Summit Town, Sussex Village, Vernon Town, Wales Village, Waukesha City, and Waukesha Town. Call DeLadurantey Law Office by phone at (414) 377-0518.